Frequently asked Questions regarding this topic include:
- What is Neutering, Spaying or Castration?
- What are the Benefits/Risks of Performing/Not performing this procedure?
- How is this performed?
Neutering is easily explained as the Removal of the Reproductive Organ or Hormonal functions in the Pets(Cats or Dogs etc) or the Live Stock, especially to control Over-Population and for some major Health benefits.
Neutering a Male termed as Castration.
Neutering a Female termed as Spaying.
De-Sexing is another Term for this (Synonym in the sense).
Neutering is performed mostly by Pet Owners and Animal Shelter Houses to reduce the Over Population and Health risks that arise, which makes them suffer. This allows the pet to be more Quiet, behave Gentle, Calm and Better. Many Countries require their pets to be sterilized before they can grow them up at Home(which is not mandatory everywhere).
Based on the type of Animal, various procedures are followed for neutering. Most widely performed are Open Surgery or Laparoscopic Surgery. Open Surgery involves incision(Cut), which is again cured by the use of some medication, post Surgery. Laparoscopic Surgery involves the use of a Camera and Scissors at points of the body. The second type involves more Expertise and is also not a Cost Effective option but has its own benefits like Faster Recovery and moreover, Less Pain.
- It Reduces the Aggressive behaviors in the Male or Female Pet, during their Breeding Cycle.
- Increases Life-Expectancy, like Neutered pets live more longer than Un-neutered pets.
- Lot of Animal Cancers can be Prevented.
- Lesser Health Risks.
- Cost – Effective Procedure.
There are not any proven Cons, but these are generally expressed to be risky.
- Over-Population is a known-fact.
- Hair Loss and Obesity, in quite a few Cases.
- Some Health Complications and Risks may arise, if there exists any previous health issues.
After all, it is more advisable to Neuter them to prevent Stray pets roaming around on the streets without proper Food and Shelter. We also do advice everyone to provide Food to those dumb and cute animals which are always war-striving to satisfy their day’s hunger.
Featured Image Courtesy: Found somewhere on the Internet.